The colour of rust


 Can I lie here forever in comfortable ruin?
smoking rolly after rolly
surrounded by scratched records
and books with broken backs
that never open or close?
No we must get up and greet the day.

I do not want to get up now or ever.
I want to bury my head in the pillow
as the gloomy mist rises and circles
and pretend I am an abandoned sculpture.
You may not do that any longer.

What then must I do?
You must play scales on the clarinet
and do the dishes and take out the bins.
But I am damaged and my heart has fallen
between the floorboards.

We all carry our wounds.
If we had no burdens
there would be nothing to lay down.
You need to change the batteries in your clock.
Why does your mum still hem your trousers?

How am I to put my suit on when I’m bleeding?
Work will stop the flow.

Dark clouds gather and leave.

It cannot rain forever.

Comments

Popular Posts