Odd socks



You never cared for pairing the socks you wore.
Disorganised as I am, I would not wear odd socks.
Most of the ones I own lie forgotten in the drawer,
the result of the hungry sprite that lives
in the mechanical cave in the utility room,
but I have a selection you gave me
from the colourfully stitched foot-shaped
renderings of famous paintings
you bought online that I was always intending
to wear at some later time.

It feels odd to wear them
now that we have parted ways
(an equivocal euphemism, that)
I wish I had worn them
when we were paired
I felt more useful coupled,
and more cheerful.
Does that mean
we never should have parted company?
Socks get unpaired due to neglect
or a dislike of the act of pairing.
Lying belly-down on the unmade bed
we used to share
where I cowered in daft anticipation
of your nocturnal utterances
I feel lonely and bereft.
I wonder should I wear one
to our tentative coffee meeting?
It would feel like a stunt.
I can’t trick you back to me
but perhaps we can be friends.

If by convention
we did not pair socks
but allowed them to couple
at uncontrived liberty
as the feeling took you,
we would not expect
to see the pairs always together
as identical, mirrored compliments
to each other
but contrasting fellows
that met more regularly
for being harmonious
in their dissonance,
celebrating each other’s individuality
and how they resonate
with each other
and we would not mourn
the cyclical separation
from bedroom floor
to drawer.

I wonder if among
your odd socks
you have favourites
you keep returning to?

Is it too much to wonder
if in time you could return to me?
Or walk with me a while?

Is it too much
to build a new philosophy of love
around attitudes to
garments meant for feet?

Is there any warmth
in these words
or any elasticity?
Does their design offend you?

Comments

Popular Posts